choosing an origami owl mentor
When deciding to join Origami Owl and become an Independent Designer – you will want to choose a mentor to help guide & support you and your new business. All designers have a mentor, either one selected when joining O2 or one that’s assigned after becoming a Designer. Most designers believe they must join with a mentor who is local to them, however location shouldn’t necessarily be the deciding factor. Many mentors and their teams are spread across the United States and have fantastic, supportive relationships to grow and build their businesses.
noun – an experienced and trusted adviser
Your mentor should be someone who you feel comfortable with and have confidence in. They are paid a commission based off your personal sales in most cases, so they have a responsibility to ensure you have the tools, knowledge and resources in order to make your business a success.
The Role of a Mentor
An Origami Owl mentor serves many purposes in your O2 business.
Your mentor should:
- Be first point of contact when you have a question or an issue
- Be available to answer questions in a timely manner
- Help you build a strong foundation to your business in your first 30 days and beyond
- Direct you to and provide you with training and support regularly
- Lead by example – sharing how insight and tips on how they are growing their own business
- Have a duplicatable business & be able to help you create your own business plan based on the basics – booking, sponsoring and selling
- Be knowledgeable about the company, products and processes within the business
- Help you set, understand and be supportive of your goals
- Encourage participation in team and corporate training events and conference calls
- Explain the career plan and share the benefits of offering the opportunity to others
- Understand obstacles and how to overcome them
- Communicate with you regularly
When choosing a mentor you will also want to consider the team you will be joining. Many teams are national teams with leaders available all over the United States – even if your mentor isn’t local to you. Being part of a team can have a great impact on your business by providing a community of like-minded women, allowing you the opportunity to build new relationships, brainstorm, collaborate and grow alongside sister and brother designers. Having an active, close knit team really creates a sense of community and belonging to the designers on that team – which in turn is fantastic for building confidence and providing motivation.
Ultimately, your business is your own but having a supportive and compatible mentor plays a huge role in achieving success and reaching your goals. Remember when choosing an Origami Owl mentor, be sure you are selecting someone who you feel can adequately support you, is knowledgeable and most importantly that you feel is a good “fit” for you and your business.
If you are ready to join Origami Owl and haven’t selected a mentor, I’d be happy to chat more with you & help you find someone who is a great fit! Team Lovely Lockets would love to welcome you to our team!